No Images? Tap here

Robertson: Senate bills improve CPL process

I recently supported legislation that would make the process to apply for a concealed pistol license (CPL) more efficient and consistent across the state.

Under Senate Bills 34 and 35, the responsibilities of county concealed weapon licensing boards would be transferred to county clerks and the Michigan State Police (MSP). Clerks would accept applications and issue approved licenses; background checks would shift from county sheriffs to the MSP. In addition, the reform would standardize requirements that can vary from county to county.

The bills have been sent to the House for consideration.

Let's get heart healthy

Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death of both men and women in the United States. Yet only one in five American women believe that heart disease is her greatest health risk.

I recently cosponsored a Senate resolution proclaiming February 2015 as American Heart Month and February 6, 2015 as Go Red for Women Day to increase awareness about the risk factors associated with this serious health threat. The American Heart Association notes that 80 percent of cardiac events-heart disease and strokes-can be prevented with education and lifestyle changes. Let's get the word out!

Job fair website

Last year, job growth in Michigan surpassed the national rate. Job seekers can stay on top of job openings and career events at The Career Event Calendar features job fairs across the state where people looking for work can connect with future employers.

The service is part of the Pure Michigan Talent Connect program.

Free taxpayer preparation guide now available

I am pleased to provide a free resource that may be helpful in filling out state income tax forms for the 2014 tax year.

Though not a substitute for Michigan Department of Treasury tax instruction booklets, the 2015 Michigan Taxpayer's Guide contains useful information on Michigan's individual income tax and property taxes. The booklet also features contact information for obtaining state agency tax assistance and copies of the most commonly used tax forms. Please visit my website for a link to the tax guide or contact my office for a print copy.